Wednesday, April 15, 2009

GOING ON A JOURNEY

For the first time in over thirty years I am going on 'holiday, with the purpose of relaxation and enjoyment. The destination is Costa del Sol in Spain.
This will be a change from Ireland with its windy, wet weather and yet its beautiful green hills and valleys.

I do love Ireland which is a big plus for me as this is my permanent home on earth. A trip to Glendalough on a sunny day is like stepping into a mystical land, once inhabited by saints and scholars of old. The atmosphere is alive with earthy prayerfulness. Even in winter this green valley of two lakes and ancient tower is invaded by bus loads of visitors, many of whom come for the right reason, to soak in the spiritual ambiance of St. Kevin's monastery.

Yet, here I am, excited at my trip to come. With diligence I'm preparing myself and insuring that I have a passport and flight ticket.

This made me reflect and realise that we are all on a journey. We are created by God and invited by Him to spend our eternity in His Place / Heaven.

So, do I have my 'passport'? Is my 'flight ticket' in order? Am I equipped with the right 'luggage'?

The above questions are pertinent in relation to my eternal future. Who can guide me / help me? The answer is clear; those who have already made the journey. All the saints in Heaven can guide me and help me when I read their lives and discover their secrets to holiness.

And, of course, there is our blessed mother, Mary. She is my special guide and help whenever I take a journey in this life. Therefore, she will be my 'special' guide on the journey to Heaven.


No comments: