Friday, April 10, 2009

COMPASSIONATE LOVE

At 3pm today, Good Friday, my friends and I watched the Passion of Christ on dvd. It's such a moving experience to watch the suffering of Christ that it brought tears to my eyes. Yet, in my heart I felt a certain numbness.
The reality of how much God loves us, to allow His Son to suffer so terribly for me / for each one of us, is hard to grasp. We can become part of the world we live in that our sense of reality / of what is Truth can be tainted.

Then I pondered on Peter and how he denied knowing Christ, and the awful remorse he suffered afterwards. Perhaps we are more akin to Peter. We want to be strong in our love for God, and to believe that we will live according to the Truth as we know it.

Yet, we are weak, and generally speaking, we deny knowing Christ every day of our lives. Anytime we compromise with our true sense of values, we are denying the Truth / we are denying Christ.

An awareness of how weak we are can help us to have remorse for our failings / our sins. And, it's good to remember that God knows how weak we are, just like a Father knows how weak His children are.

God doesn't love us less for being weak. Perhaps He loves us more. Our weakness affords God the opportunity to show His wonderful compassionate love for each one of us.

No comments: