Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Searching for Beauty...

With Christmas glitter all around and shops full of beautiful gifts, a trip to town
can be a pleasure and also a temptation.
This happened to me today as I sauntered along O'Connell street and marveled at the invitations that came from all quarters, beautiful clothes / beautiful shoes / beautiful books...
Had I a need for something?  This question guided me and protected me as I felt tempted, then realized my needs were of a simple nature and easily fulfilled.
My desire for artistic beauty began with a visit to St. Andrews Church, just beside the dart station in Westland Row.  The building itself is a work of art and the paintings high up on the walls are to be admired if one could get close enough to see their beauty.  Most of all, the Church is open to the public and Mass is celebrated every day.
My next pleasure was a walk through Merrion Park, a quick visit and yet so peaceful even without the display of flowers that decorate the park in the summer.
By now my natural desire for a lovely warm cup of coffee to sustain me on a winter, wet and windy day was found in the Cafe in the Natural Art Gallery, capped by the company of my friend and cousin, Carmel.  
I talk and she listens and I listen and she talks and our strong friendship is being renewed.  Perhaps this is the best pleasure of all.
Of course, one doesn't go into the Art Gallery without availing of a peek at the artistic treasures contained therein. Even a few minutes can be enough to come away with a small treasure, a postcard of one of the famous paintings.
Braving the rain and winter weather, I managed a stroll through Trinity and a peek into Pennys for a bargain  and a visit to the GPO to see the display of lights and animal figures and the moving Crib.  A few stamps to buy and cards to post and my day in Dublin was complete.
A short wait in the rain for my bus home and so glad was I to say farewell to Baile Ath Cliath. 

No comments: