Monday, February 6, 2012

GRAN CANARY




I've just returned from a wonderful holiday in Gran Canary, an island of the north-west coast of Africa. It was a great experience for me, especially as a writer, to focus on people and their lives.


Arguineguin, where I stayed, is mostly a Scandinavian community, dappled with English and Irish people.


I had planned to study my Spanish notes, yet soon found myself practising what Danish I could remember.



This community of very actively-retired people are impressive. They keep fit and live disciplined lives, physically, mentally and spiritually.


Having made an investment in property, it works out cheaper for them to spend the winter living in a warm climate with no heavy fuel bills etc. And of course, much healthier!
With the average temperature of 25 degrees and constant sunshine, Gran Canary is a haven of peace and relaxation.


On Sundays, the Norwegian Choir sang some beautiful hymns at the local Church. It was a delight to listen to them, a large group of actively-retired people who simply love to sing.


They say, 'To sing is to pray twice.'


A local Canaries woman told me that the group move over to Gran Canary in October and stay until May.


No wonder they all look so happy and healthy.


I guess HOME is where the heart is...









No comments: