Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A HAPPY FACE.

My mother was ill. Hospital was the only answer, so the doctor said. Several weeks, at least. The family was dependent on having her at home, but she had to obey the doctor, otherwise her life was at risk.

I visited as often as I could and it became a pleasure to see her being transformed from being the `mother’ as we knew her, into a real person - someone who had time and interest in being creative - a person with a happy face.

This was a revelation for me. I had linked illness with sadness. Not so. I discovered that even pain can have happiness as a companion, as indeed my mother had with her companions.
An atmosphere of good humour and even laughter filled the hospital ward.
Some recovered - others didn’t, yet they all knew the secret of a happy face.

No comments: