Thursday, August 28, 2008

OUTSIDE, LOOKING IN - INSIDE, LOOKING OUT.

As a child I remember looking in a restaurant window. I was outside, looking in at the people. Then I became aware that they were inside, looking out at me. Suddenly, I was the one being observed. My freedom as an observer was shattered by a self-conscious awareness of myself.
When we grow up, we learn to handle gracefully, other people’s awareness of us. We communicate and reveal ourselves, at least to some degree, and so relationships blossom and grow.
However, the real development in life is centred on us being able to look in and observe ourselves, as if we are another person; and then to look out and observe others. If we truly believe in the presence of God living in each one of us, then this ability is of paramount important.
When we become aware of God within us, we are then free to look out and discover God in others. We open the door to love.

No comments: