Monday, January 30, 2023

Believe...


 Today I met a young person, a young mother with a husband and one year old child. She wanted to give me an envelope with money enclosed.

Her story related to many years ago when she visited our Shop with a friend. The money is to pay for something her friend had stolen from the shop and gave it to her. 

Now that she has become a born-again Christian, she feels compelled to pay for what was stolen, and to apologise. She believes that to follow Christ we must be honest and make up for any mistakes or wrongs that one has been party to.

I accepted the gift of money, then invited her and her husband to have tea with us.  I explained that I am a believer in the Catholic Faith, and introduced her to a book by Saint Therese.  She took a photo of the cover, but not the book.

We sat in our Studio and had tea and biscuits.  I was impressed by her faith, yet a little sad that she would feel obliged to point out the faults she believes exist in the Catholic Faith.

What we believe is very personal and must be respected, yet if we truly believe in our Faith, are we morally bound to share it with others?  I ask the question because that is what I tried to do many years ago, to go out and preach the Gospel, and let all peoples know that God is a God of love.

I believe and I wonder...


No comments: