Sunday, October 10, 2010

GLIMPSE of PARADISE


The opportunity came my way to spend a week with friends on the island of Skiathos in Greece.

This was my first introduction to Greek culture. We visited many of the splendid monasteries on the island, enjoying a glimpse into traditional Greek Orthodox religion.

The Chapels are very ornate and beautifully decorated with icons depicting Christ and the blessed virgin and the saints.

I was especially impressed with an icon of the Virgin mother, laced with silver and bearing an appealing smile. However when I tried to capture the image on my phone, I was cautioned not to do so.

I can well understand the Orthodox priests who have thousands of tourists coming their way every summer. They are polite, always, and for women who might forget to dress in a manner suitable for attending Church, they provide lovely colourful shawls.

Now that I am home again, I appreciate our open churches with Mass provided daily, at most churches.

Religion can be a form of art, yet Art will never replace religion.

No comments: